Sunday 18 August 2013

My play-around with eye creams.


Growing up and working extensively with makeup and skincare, I did come to realize that that the under eye area needs special care. The regular face creams are just not good enough for skin under the eyes. This skin is much thinner which makes it quite delicate and vulnerable. Also, the tiny muscles around the eyes undergo a lot of workout when you express. Over time, the skin around the eyes dries out owing to the fact that this area does not have the same oil glands as the rest of your face.

Skin under the eyes can be prone to puffiness due to fluid build up caused by allergies or sinus. Heredity, lack of sleep, over exposure to the sun can cause the epidermis to become thinner and the underlying veins to become more prominent causing dark circles. Smoking, exposure to the sun's harmful UV rays encourage small wrinkles to develop, popularly known as "Crow's Feet."


I first realized that the skin all around the eye is pretty sensitive when it started becoming really flakey, red and itchy because I started using a lot of makeup on a daily basis at makeup school. All the excessive use of products and blending colors with brushes just really irritated the skin and made it much more sensitive than any other part of the face.That's when I turned to a basic Soothing Eye Balm by Simple. At £3.99 a pop, It was the perfect under eye care with some skin loving nutrients, for a beginner who dint have any real under eye issues. After having used it for a week or so, the skin started to look visibly better, brighter and hydrated. I was happy to have discovered a new kind of products that could take prevent or delay the appearance of aging around the eyes. 

I marched around all of Boots to see what the other eye creams and gels were like. I found out that more often than not, the eye cream was costlier than its sister night cream of the same range. I asked the sales reps why the teeny eye cream was more expensive and why cant we do with the night cream alone. I was then explained that the eye creams are richer in emollients or anti-oxidants and are made to provide for the special needs of that area. However, if you don't feel that the skin underneath the eyes acts differently as compared to the rest of the face then you could just do with the cream meant for the rest of the face.




After having used the simple stuff for sometime, I felt like trying out other products to see if it will make any difference. So I went and picked up the Dirty Works - Banish the bags eye cream at the local Sainsbury's for £4.99/15mL.
I was basically drawn to the pretty pink packaging and the catchy names of the entire Dirty Works range, and since I HAD to pick up an eye cream.. I went with it ! This felt exactly the same as the Simple one, just a wee bit richer. I preferred this for day time use for its instant wake-me-up effect on the under eye owing to its light reflecting properties. 



When it comes to skincare, the two ingredients that make you wanna buy any product and presume it would be good are Retinols and Hyaluronic Acid. Based on this very assumption, I picked up the the Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair eye cream (INR 549/-) as soon as I saw this.



This does have a cautionary note that says:
This was exactly the experience I had with the product even though I really hoped not. 
This just made me a little skeptical of the product but I still continued to use and then my skin did adjust. 

However, I don't feel it has done much for me. Not like I have a major wrinkle situation going on anyway. I prefer the earlier two creams over this one, any day. 


Now, the point of this long story was to get you to start taking care of your under eye in the best way possible if you are not already into eye creams. 

Remember even under eye concealer will stay on much better on smoother and more hydrated skin. 

To brighter eyes and brighter days !

Good Luck.


xoxo.


2 comments:

  1. hey hi
    nice work.....which is a good under eye cream available in India? is the first one u mentioned available here ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a bunch ! The first one is available is the US or UK and is a really good one.
    I'd say go with the Clinique All About Eyes or the L'oreal Youth Code.

    ReplyDelete